Total Views

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Time machine backup onto network share

Here is how you do it:
REQUIREMENTS
You need to be running Leopard and you’ll need a network share which is larger or equal to your hard drive in your Mac. In my case these shares are in SMB and AFP.
1. Go into Applications / Utilities and open up terminal
2. Copy and paste this command into terminal (all on one line)
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
3. Hit enter / return
4. Mount your network share, in my case my share is off our server called INAS1 and my share is called User-Backups
5. Go to System Preferences and open Time Machine
6. Click on Change Disk
7. Select the share you wish to backup to, I’ve selected User-Backups
6. That’s it, you’re done

No comments:

Post a Comment